Sunday, January 23, 2011

Idols and Altars

Today, we built an altar. A place to meet God. As I reflected, I realized that over the last 58+ years I have built many altars along the way. Unfortunately, most was really idols , not altars. Most came in the form of cars and houses, boats, bank accounts and vacations, food, my ability to make a living and sometimes even people. Today we built an altar; a place to worship, a place to meet God. It is a place to remember Him, His provisions, His promises and protection.
The alter is built, not with man’s tools but from craggy ol’ iron rock pulled from the ground. Formed, fashioned and sized by God Himself. These rocks were stacked, guided by His hand. It’s not a pretty or a comfortable place…. just didn’t want it to be a place of landscaped distractions. The rocks are not massive….didn’t want to be distracted by magnitude. It is a simple place. A quite place.
We’re not setting up days or times to visit but rather we’ll go there when compelled by the Lord and when we can really focus just on Him. The “remember bench” is there for anyone who wants to come and sit awhile with the Lord.
Lord, my prayer, in the end, is that You will be honored and remembered. I pray that these rocks will never have to cry out because we are not giving you the praise and glory.
As time goes on Lord, please identify all idols of my heart and give me grace to give them up. Help me Lord to see you only.
With the days left in this life, Lord be glorified. Help me to remember, trust you and be humble. Help me to visit you often.